Last night, we needed to throw together a quick and easy dinner. I opened the refrigerator to see what veggies we had available:
- green tomatoes, chopped
- mushrooms, halved then sliced
- zucchini, chopped
- asparagus, cut into quarter long pieces
- onion, chopped
- carrots, diced
- butternut squash, large cubes (I baked this is a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes)
There were more veggies I could add (broccoli and cauliflower for example), but I decided on the others. I knew I wanted to include herbs since, thanks to our unusually warm October, we still have herbs growing! ?
- 1 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/8 cup fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1 dried cayenne pepper, crushed
- fresh garlic, crushed
I sauteed everything except the butternut squash (which I baked), green tomatoes and herbs. After everything was cooked, I added the tomatoes, herbs, pepper, garlic and salt to taste.
I took all of the veggie stir fry and gently mixed it in with the baked butternut squash. What an incredible combination! Even Hiro loved it and ate ALL the green stuff. ?
A few of the benefits of the two herbs I used:
- high in vitamins A & C
- cleansing, especially helpful with heavy metals
- mineral rich (calcium, potassium & iron)
- cooling and refreshing flavor
- great for the brain
- immune stimulator
- warming and astringent
The next time you’re preparing a meal for your family, don’t forget to add herbs! They contribute greatly to both the flavor and nutritional profiles of the dish. Finish off your meal with a warm cup of ginger tea to promote proper digestion.