Elderberry and clove are one of our favorite winter flavor combinations. If you’ve ever made your own elderberry syrup for cold & flu season then you’re familiar with the wonderful sweet-tart, earthy goodness of the antiviral and immune boosting tonic. Yum!
You can find the recipe for the herbal “coffee” liqueur here.
Elderberry & Clove Syrup Ingredients
- 1/2 c dried elderberries
- 2 c cold water
- 1 c sugar
- Place berries and water in pot and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes; remove from heat and steep for an additional hour
- Strain through cheesecloth and squeeze out the liquid; return the liquid to a clean pot and add sugar and cloves
- Bring to a boil, and allow to simmer for 10 minutes
- Remove from heat and pour into a sterilized jar or bottle
- Store in a cool dark place for up to 1 year; once opened, keep in the refrigerator up to 2 months
- 1-1/2 oz herbal coffee liqueur
- 3/4 oz heavy cream
- 1/2 oz elderberry and clove syrup
- 3/4 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Soda water to taste
- Put everything in a shaker
- Fill 2/3 with ice, and shake well for 20-30 seconds
- Pour into a glass rimmed with cocoa sugar rim
Do you want to “Party Like an Herbalist”? Check out our Pinterest boards for tons of fun herbal inspiration!