Star anise (Illicium verum), not a very popularly used or thought-about spice, but darn it, I love the taste it imparts to recipes!
This spice is NOT the same as anise seed; it’s beautifully star shaped and pleasantly fragrant.
In our home, we use it in two of our favorite recipes:
- chai spice blend (also here!)
- root beer syrup (yes, it tastes like root beer)
Why should you add it to your diet?
- antifungal, including against candida
- contains shikimic acid which can help ward off viruses like cold and flu
- carminative to help reduce gas, bloating, cramping, and constipation
- can assist in calming your mind in order to get to sleep easier – why not try a star anise tea before bed?
- improves breath (who doesn’t want that?) – adding to mouthwash or tooth powder would be an easy way to get this benefit