One of my favorite herbal preparations is infused oils!
They can be soothing to dry skin, help with bug bites, stings, abrasions, burns and rashes. Be careful with new cuts or wounds, especially if the wound is deep; oil can trap bacteria and help them spread. Use compresses in this case. You can also use infused oils to make salves, lotions and shaving cream. Each of these preparations help with healing and nourishing the skin.
Herbal oils allow oil-soluble plant constituents to transfer across the oily barrier of the skin, affecting issues on the skin’s surface, as well as internally.
What constituents extract in oil?
- volatile oils (aromatic/pungent) – Volatile oils are relaxing to the musculo- skeletal system, invigorating to the nervous system, expectorant, and anti-microbial, giving herb-infused oils many powerful situations for indication.
- resins (aromatic, bitter) – Because of its fat-solubility, resin extracts very well in oil. It contains the same powerful benefits of volatile oils due to their aromatic nature.
IMPORTANT NOTE: When you’re first starting out, it is best to begin with dried herbs only. Fresh herbs introduce moisture and can lead to mold issues in the oil.
Types of oils that can be used (cold pressed, virgin):
- olive oil
- coconut oil
- grape seed oil
- walnut oil
- avocado oil
- almond oil
- apricot oil
- Fill jar 1/2 full with dried herbs or fresh herbs to the top (i.e. St. John’s wort or mullein flower)
- Fill the jar to the top with oil making sure the herb is covered
- Label with the name of herb, type of oil, date
- Put the jar in a warm, dark place for 3 weeks shaking/stirring daily for the first week (check to make sure the herb is still covered with oil)
- Strain through a cheesecloth or t-shirt
- Store in a jar, leaving as little headspace as possible, and in a dark cupboard (or dark container)
Herb Infused oil is a great beginner project! Cold extractions are very simple and will give a wonderful result. We teach you how to make a hot extraction our preparations course. For more detailed information on infused oil, and tons of other preparations, sign up for our Herbal Preparations Bundle. It’s 50% off until the end of April! (use coupon code quarantine2020)