Continuing our Kitchen Heroes series, today I’m going to share a recipe for one of my favorite kitchen workhorses: homemade Shake-n-Bake.
I (Kim) keep a large jar of this stuff in my refrigerator at all times. It’s ridiculously versatile, and I use it often to jazz up sautéed vegetables, garnish casseroles, bread chicken, pork chops or fish. If you have an air fryer, this stuff works well as a breading to make “fried” chicken your kids will love.
Best of all, you can easily control what goes into the mix. I typically make this with organic panko bread crumbs and sprouted spelt flour, a high-quality parmesan, organic herbs and a mineral-rich salt. The result is much tastier and better for you than the store-bought product.
Feel free to play around with the spices and customize a blend that suits your family’s tastes.
Do you like it spicy? Try throwing in a little cayenne.
Want more of an Italian theme? Add some basil and oregano.
Need gluten free? They make some great gluten-free panko and gluten-free flours that should work well with this recipe.
I’m a firm believer that convenience foods do not have to be unhealthy. This make-ahead recipe is a lifesaver on busy nights when making a homemade and healthy dinner seems like an impossible dream. ???
- 2 c panko-style bread crumbs
- 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c parmesan cheese
- 1/4 c nettle leaf, dried and crushed
- 1 T paprika (I like to use smoked paprika)
- 1 T salt
- 1 T arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp fine/powdered sugar
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 T cooking oil of choice (I’ve used avocado oil, softened lard and duck fat with great results)
- Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and stir with a fork until evenly mixed; break up any clumps (you could also pulse in a food processor)
- Transfer to a large mason jar, cover and refrigerate
- Keeps for several months in the refrigerator